Thursday, May 28, 2009

vintage thingies thursday

This week, we thought we'd join in on the fun of Vintage Thingies Thursday, hosted by Suzanne at Colorado Lady. We have a lot of vintage treasures throughout our house - I grew up surrounded not by store-bought decorations, but instead by my grandparent's yard sale and other "finds" - and also by things that were from my great-grandparents' houses. Now that I have my own house, lots of the treasures came to live with me - and I've picked up a few of my own along the way too, at yard sales and antique shops. I love "old" things - they're such a wonderful reminder of people and times long gone!

So, I thought I'd share some of the teacups that are in the hutch in our sunroom.




Last year when we were at the farmers' market in our town, I noticed a display of beautiful old teacups with tiny Jade plants growing in them. I decided to try a couple of our own - so this is one of our old teacups (a souvenier from Washington DC, with a picture of George and Martha Washington on the inside edge), put to a new use. I think it's adorable! What do you think?




13 comments:

Postcardy said...

It's cute.

Marie Reed said...

I LOVE it! That is such a great idea! I think it brings the cup to life! I actually never buy teacups when antiquing because they just go into my cabinet never to be seen again but I would sooo do this!! I'm going to start buying them now! Oh no!!! Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Susan said...

Lovely teacups.

~~Carol~~ said...

Love your teacups, especially the one with the jade plant...sweet! I like the milk glass I see in the background there too!

Elizabeth said...

Definitely adorable! Try African violets, too.

Keetha said...

Oh Pennywise, I'm a sucker for pretty fine china tea cups and saucers, and these of yours are some mighty FINE china!!!! love them.

Donna said...

nice tea cups...I have my grandmothers tea cups..pretty like yours

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh I love old tea cups! Am a complete fool about them. I like the idea of a tiny Jade plant in a cup -- they don't need much watering!

Very sweet look.

Haha .. I looked down thru a couple of your posts, and saw that your son had cast your dust bunnies in his play. Cute! When my kids were very young, the only pets we had were the dust bunnies!

Best ... Cass

Coloradolady said...

Welcome to Vintage Thingie Thursday and what a great post! I love all your tea cups, and the one with the plant in the middle is a great idea!!

Have a great week!

Bea said...

Great idea with the jade plant in the tea cup. Your cups are lovely.

SueLovesCherries said...

Pretty teacups! They are fun to collect, huh?

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

ahhhhh very pretty teacups.. i love teacups.. who doesnt when all are pretty as yours! happy VTT

Jan Ely said...

Love the cups, but I wanna see that hutch!!!