Thursday, June 18, 2009

a wonderful day for a csa...

Check out those veggies! We went to pick up our CSA share this week, and I was excited to see red lettuce, green lettuce, pac choi, radishes, garlic scapes, scallions... and I saw swiss chard too. But you can't see swiss chard if you look at this picture, because we ate it for dinner last night (grin). Swiss Chard with Lemon and Feta. Discovered the recipe last year, and it's fabulous:

De-stem and slice a bunch of swiss chard into 2" pieces. Meanwhile, boil up some pasta. Combine juice from a couple lemons, and a couple spoons of olive oil in a bowl with some salt and pepper. How much of everything depends on how much pasta you're making - you just want enough "sauce" to coat the pasta, and enough swiss chard to be happy (grin again)...

When the pasta's done, combine the pasta, sauce, and swiss chard in a large bowl, stir, crumble on some feta cheese, and enjoy!! The warm pasta sort of steams the chard, but it stays pretty crispy, which I like. Other folks have suggested steaming the chard first until it's a little wilted - and the recipe also says you can substitute beans for the feta. Might try that next time - but I do love feta!

2 comments:

livinginalocalzone said...

Great CSA goodies! Its been a lot of greens for us too, with a few radishes, a quart of strawberries, and some hakuri turnips. But the swiss chard is delicious. I can never decide which I like better: kale or swiss chard. I used to be a huge spinach fan, and while I still like it for salads etc, nothing beats a delicious swiss chard dish for dinner. Thanks for sharing your recipe :-)

Colleen said...

I love spinach salads - spinach, mushrooms, and some hard boiled eggs, and I'm happy!!