Monday, July 27, 2009

durham farmer's market trip

At the Durham farmers' market today, we were excited to see apples at the Applecrest Farm tent. Had to bring some home, as Rb loves apple slices with breakfast!

We also brought home broccoli from Applecrest, an eggplant from Nelson Farm, and cucumbers from Back River Farm. Now I'm not sure if it'll be ratatouille for dinner tonight, since we still have tomatoes, zucchini, and onions left from last week's market trips and CSA share, or if we'll wait until tomorrow for that and enjoy the broccoli tonight instead... what I do know is that I'm hungry just thinking about it!!

Thought I'd share our favorite way to make a super simple ratatouille - there are certainly many other versions and methods, but on a hot summer day when we don't want to heat the kitchen up with too much cooking, this is the one we usually go with. Tastes great over pasta or rice, or as a side dish paired with spicy grilled chicken - yum!

You'll need -
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 eggplant, peeled and cubed
1 zucchini, cubed
Light salt and pepper

1. Saute onion and garlic until soft.
2. Stir in everything else.
3. Cover and simmer 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
4. Serve, and enjoy!

1 comment:

livinginalocalzone said...

Ratatouille is so versatile, it is one of my fav preparations. I like yours, particularly with the addition of the garlic.
Apples already! I saw some early Lodi apples when I went to a local orchard for blueberries, but I just can't wrap my head around apples in July - but really, those look good. What are your plans for them?