Friday, July 31, 2009

it really works!


This is Luanne. Luanne is a Norfolk Island Pine that I bought from a plant nursery in Connecticut about 15 years ago. She was maybe a foot tall when I brought her home - and she was just known as "the tree." Then a couple years later I met R, who has a tendency to name just about everything that holds still - so she became Luanne.

Luanne now stands over 6 feet tall - and several folks who have come to our house (she stands just inside the front door) have commented something to the effect of "wow - you must use a lot of Miracle Gro!"

Happy to say, Miracle Gro has never been part of Luanne's diet. Instead (and in addition to occasional top-dressings of worm compost) we feed her (and all our other house plants) water from our fish tank.

About once each month, we change out about 1/3 of the water in our fresh-water fish tank. Instead of dumping the nutrient-rich water, we take buckets of it around the house and make sure each plant gets some. From what I've read, fish water typically has lots of nitrogen, which makes plants happy. If Luanne is any example, I'd even say "super happy!!" If you have a fresh-water tank, and you have house plants, give it a try - it really works!

4 comments:

livinginalocalzone said...

Your plant looks beautiful and healthy. And I bet your guests are surprised to learn the source of Luanne's health - I certainly was! I never knew that about the nitrogen from fish water. I don't have fish, but it is still something that makes me smile, to think how one creature's habitat can help another to grow.

Amy said...

Hmmm, maybe I need to get a fish tank. They never seemed like a useful pet to me before. Beautiful tree!

Life Looms Large said...

That is a very happy Norfolk pine! Mine perks up when it gets to spend summer outside on the porch or under trees.....but I'm sure it would love it if I got a fish tank!

Sue

PS: I just added a credit to you in my butterfly post.....your dragonfly made me do it!! Sorry I forgot to do that when I posted earlier - I intended to, but then got distracted.

Colleen said...

I love being able to put the fish water to good use, that's for sure!

Luanne used to spend her summers outside too - now that she's too big and heavy to be brought in and out, the much shorter ficus summers outside instead!

NH friends, have you seen the Norfolk Island Pine that stands in the atrium of what I believe is the old Exeter High School? It's a truly amazing tree - the first time I saw it, I stood and marveled for quite a while. I wonder how old it is, to be that tall!

Thanks Sue re the dragonfly - your photos are one of my favorite things about your blog!

:-) Colleen