Thursday, July 23, 2009

one local summer, stir-fried

Tonight for dinner, we decided to make a simple stir fry. We picked up broccoli at the Lee farmers' market this afternoon (since we ate our CSA broccoli with dinner last night!), and we had carrots from CSA. We added snap peas, garlic, and onion greens from our own garden. A little local chicken from the freezer, and some totally non-local dark soy sauce, and it all came together as a tasty meal!

Speaking of dinner, I also thought I would share this photo.

Our resident chipmunk (or some other little woodland creature) had my second home-grown almost-ripe tomato of the season for its dinner last night. Since tomatoes in our area are really struggling this year, I was very much looking forward to enjoying this one. I guess someone else had his eye on it too. He ate half, and left the rest in the bed where the onions are trying to grow. You can see the slugs next to the tomato, and the moss at the edge of the photo. This summer in New England really has been a wet one! There's a flood watch for our county right now, with 2-4" of rain possible tonight into tomorrow afternoon. I just hope the garden can handle more water!!

2 comments:

livinginalocalzone said...

We got a lot of rain last night, and more is said to be on the way for tonight. The poor peppers were nearly drowning when I checked this morning, but they seem to be hanging strong and stubborn. Sending thoughts that your garden does the same...
And the stir-fry.... I love snap peas with garlic and green onion, now why didn't I think to add broccoli to it? Lucky you to have markets open all the days of the week near you. The ones here open during the week are all a bit far for me to get to.

Colleen said...

The sun is out here today - hooray!! Can't wait to go check out the garden this afternoon, and see how it did in the downpours! I am very lucky that there are so many markets just a short drive from where I live, and so many great farmers who bring their wonderful food each week! It also helps that I work from home, so I can get to the week-day markets during the early afternoons before they sell out of the good produce. Speaking of markets, we picked up more broccoli today - I could eat it every day, I think, and not get tired of it!!