Sunday, July 26, 2009

tasty tomato dish

Last night for dinner we were looking for something simple and summery, so we tried a recipe from the book From Asparagus to Zucchini (a very awesome book full of great vegetable-oriented recipes, tips, and ideas!).

We had a bunch of tomatoes left from the farmers' market, so I turned to the tomato section, and this recipe caught my eye. It was really yummy - though I think when I took some of the tomato/feta/sauce mixture and put it on top of homemade French bread toast, I liked it even better than I did on the spaghetti. Very tasty!!

Here's the recipe, with thanks to the Asparagus to Zucchini folks, and with a couple little modifications! Enjoy!

You'll need -
1/2 lb uncooked spaghetti
1/4 cup olive oil
2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups chopped tomatoes (which worked out to 2 large tomatoes)
salt and pepper
feta cheese

1. Cook the pasta until just tender (as directed on package).
2. While the pasta's cooking, whisk the lemon juice and olive oil together in a bowl, and add salt and pepper to taste.
3. When the pasta's done, drain, and place in a large bowl. Add the lemon/oil dressing and combine well.
4. This is where we deviated from the book - the recipe calls for you to place the pasta on a platter and top with the tomatoes, but we kept it in the large bowl as it seemed easier to serve from there... so at this point, we added the tomatoes on top of the pasta, and mixed it all together so the tomatoes would also get some of the sauce on them.
5. Serve, top each serving with as little or as much feta as desired, and enjoy!

4 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

That sounds seriously yummy! I have some ravioli from Terra Cotta pasta in the freezer. I think I'm going to combine this sauce with that pasta for dinner tomorrow night!

Thanks for the recipe!

Sue

livinginalocalzone said...

I've heard so many good things about the Asparagus to Zucchini book, and now with your praises added in, it is going on my to-get list.

Colleen said...

Terra Cotta - I love their pasta. I haven't bought any for a while - but now that you mention them, it's going on my list!!

Asparagus to Zucchini has so many great ideas - and most of the recipes are very simple, which I think is especially nice for summer time!

Life Looms Large said...

Tonight I excavated a bag of Terra Cotta Pasta's Portabella and Shallot Ravioli from our freezer.

I served it topped as described in this recipe.

So delicious and so easy!! Thanks again for the idea! I'll definitely try it with some plain pasta too at some point - but I can already tell it will be a summer staple!

Thanks for the recipe! Sounds like a great cookbook!

Sue