This week's CSA share has kale, lettuce, summer squash and zucchini, cucumbers, eggplant, heirloom tomatoes, green peppers, and a nice big bag of green beans! Should make for a fun week of cooking - and eating!
We're going to use the eggplant to make "Easy Eggplant Spread" - the recipe (from Green Earth Institute) is below. We tried it last year when eggplant was in season, and it's definitely yummy!
Easy Eggplant Spread
1 medium, firm eggplant
1 clove garlic, cracked away from skin
2 pinches ground allspice
Coarse salt and black pepper
1 handful flat-leaf parsley leaves
A drizzle extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to highest setting, at least 500 degrees F.
2. Cut 2 or 3 slits into whole eggplant and place directly on rack in the middle of the oven.
3. Roast until tender, about 20 minutes. Keep the slits facing up so that the eggplant does not loose liquids as it roasts.
4. Remove eggplant from the oven.
5. Using a sharp utility knife, carefully peel skin away from eggplant flesh.
6. Add cooked eggplant flesh and juice to food processor and combine with garlic, allspice, salt, and pepper and parsley.
7. Pulse grind into a paste, add a drizzle of olive oil.
8. Serve with slices of crusty bread. Makes 10 servings.