Thursday, August 6, 2009

csa - summer in full swing

Cucumbers, zucchini, pattypan squash, tomatoes, green peppers, beets, kohlrabi, red potatoes, and FENNEL!! Oh my - I'm excited about this week's share, for sure!

I've never tried fennel before, but I think we may try Roasted Fennel (recipe below). The recipe is from my very favorite online recipe source, Green Earth Institute. The recipe section of their site has recipes for every CSA and farmers' market vegetable we've ever brought home, and it has a menu that lets you bring up a list of recipes according to the vegetable you want to feature.

So here's what they say for Roasted Fennel - sounds tasty! Anyone else have ideas for what to do with fennel? Please share!!

Blanch whole fennel bulb in boiling water for 10 minutes and drain. Halve it lengthwise; place in roasting pan, cut side down. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste. Return to oven; roast for 10 to 20 minutes more.

3 comments:

livinginalocalzone said...

I've recently started to use fennel raw in salads, a very nice "tingly" flavor. Have you ever had fennel seeds? I ate them for *years* not knowing that there was a veg that went along with them!

Life Looms Large said...

I'm suffering from vegetable withdrawal here!! I'm trying to make different veggie salads, but I'm hanging out with a meat-intensive crew this week.

Your post makes me hungry for more veggies!!

Sue

Colleen said...

I can't quite get used to how much fennel tastes like licorice to me - I think I need to keep trying it different ways to see if I can discover a way I like it!!

When we went to the Cape this year, we packed a cooler of NH veggies to bring along - my mother thought it was funny, but since we already had them here at home, we figured we might as well bring them and enjoy them there!! LOL