Monday, August 24, 2009

farmers' market trip - and spaghetti squash!

This afternoon, we headed to the Durham farmers' market, and on the way stopped at a farm stand up the road from us, and at Tecce Farm in Durham. Tecce Farm's roadside stand opened recently for the season, and while there we got some of their own corn and apples (I can't remember the variety but they said they taste similar to McIntosh), as well as some UNH-grown plums. At the farm stand closer to us, we picked up 3 lbs of tomatoes, a cucumber, and a spaghetti squash - and at the Durham market, we got a melon and a red onion. I heard that there have been melons already at some of the other area farmers' markets, but since we didn't make it out to any last week, this will be our first of the season.

For dinner tonight, we're going to make a spaghetti squash dish that we enjoyed last year - thought I'd share the recipe!

First you need to cook the spaghetti squash - you can roast it, boil, steam, or microwave. Since it's hot today and we'd like to avoid using the oven, we'll probably microwave. You just poke 10-12 holes in the squash, place it on a microwave-safe plate, and cook on "high" for about 10 minutes, turning every 2-3 minutes, until the squash is soft on the outside. Then let it cool for about 5 minutes, cut carefully in half (don't get burned!), remove the seeds, and scoop out the squash using a fork to separate it into strands.

Next, melt a few tablespoons of butter in a pan. Add some garlic and chopped onion, and then add cubes of zucchini, carrot, green pepper, red pepper, or any other veggie that sounds good to you. Depending on what you choose, you may have to add them 1 by 1, so that each veggie can cook as long as it needs to, without becoming mushy. Once everything is crisp-tender (or cooked the way you like it), add the cooked spaghetti squash to the pan to heat through. When hot, transfer to a serving dish, top with chopped tomato, serve, and enjoy!

3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

That's a really good idea!! I think I had a grilled variation of that dinner tonight - ton of grilled veggies on top of pasta mixed with some pesto.

But it would have been good on spaghetti squash too!

Good to know you can microwave a squash. I've never tried cooking it that way....sounds much easier than my usual oven method.

Sue

livinginalocalzone said...

Yup, I've microwaved spaghetti (and others) squash and it comes out so well. Such a fun veg, and easy to play around with in different recipes. I'd like to get out to a farm that grows melon this weekend (hasn't happened so far) - I miss them! What kind was yours?

Colleen said...

I had to go get more spaghetti squash, since the one I bought was so yummy!! I have 2 more now in the kitchen. I have to look up how long spaghetti squash can be stored for, as I'd love to pick up a handful more to last into Winter if I can!

The melon we got was a canteloupe - we went to the Lee farmers' market yesterday and got a couple more of those too! The farmer said she won't have too many melons this year, as they needed more hot sunny days. But the ones we've had so far have been very tasty!!