Thursday, August 27, 2009

food and farming articles

I read a couple of interesting articles recently, and thought I'd share the links.

The New York Times had an op-ed piece about vertical farms that had me imagining what it would be like to see skyscrapers dedicated to growing vegetables, and cities full of places where residents could easily access locally grown food.

And Time has an article about the "high price of cheap food" - I enjoy stories like these, as they remind me of how much impact local eating can have on the world, and of how far we have to go before local, sustainably-grown foods are truly both affordable and accessible on mass scale.

Happy reading!

2 comments:

livinginalocalzone said...

I just saw the NYT article about vertical farms (yesterday or the day before?) - what were your thoughts? I am curious as to how the funding will work, and if seeds will need some sort of adaptation for hydroponic/aeroponic growth in the long term, but it at least starts to address the problem of urban density and how to bring local produce to places it would otherwise be hard to find.

And thanks for sharing the Time article, I'll have to take a look!

Colleen said...

It is interesting to think about separating farming and land and soil... which farming in skyscrapers would certainly do. I don't have enough of an understanding of farming practices to even imagine all of the questions and dilemmas that would present themselves - but I'd love to follow the idea and see what comes of it. There are already rooftop and patio gardens - whole-building gardens would really be something!!