Wednesday, August 19, 2009

zucchini parmesan sandwiches

I usually make sure we've tried a recipe before I share it here, but I mentioned this one earlier in the week and it does sound really tasty (I haven't tried anything from the Moosewood Cookbook that hasn't been great!). So, I thought I'd go ahead and post it, especially since it is the time of year when zucchini tends to pile up!!

We have 4 baby zucchini out in the garden that should be ready for harvest soon, so we'll be making the sandwiches later this week. Guessing they'll be quite yummy!!

So here we go -
Zucchini-Parmesan Sandwiches -

2 cups diced fresh zucchini
1/2 cup minced onion
1 clove crushed garlic
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp oregano
2 tbs olive oil
salt, pepper
fresh tomato slices
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
4 pieces of toasted bread

Saute onions and garlic, with salt, basil, and oregano, in olive oil until onion is translucent. Add zucchini and saute until soft.

Spread onto toast, topped with thin slices of tomato and a sprinkling of fresh parmesan. Broil and then serve.

3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

That does sound really excellent! Hopefully it will cool down just a bit outside and then I'll feel like cooking!

Luckily for tonight we have leftovers!!

Sue

livinginalocalzone said...

Thank you for the recipe! And I happen to have lots of zucchini and an early onion, so I think this will be perfect for tonight. No cheese for me though, can you think of what else might taste good with it?

Colleen said...

It does seem cooler today finally, thank goodness! It was nice to see Summer really appear for a few days, but I'd be happier with 80s instead of 90s, for sure!!

I wasn't sure what would be a good idea to substitute instead of the parmesan... so I googled for ideas and found a suggestion that said, since parmesan usually adds a salty taste to dishes, you can use more salt and pepper, plus a bit of garlic powder. That sounds pretty tasty to me! Let me know if you try it!