Sunday, September 6, 2009

roadside shopping

I love the farmers' markets, but shopping at local farm stands is definitely a fun way to "grocery shop" too. Baskets full of fresh fruits and veggies to choose from - and my son thinks putting the money in the little box is the best part (especially now that he's tall enough to reach on his own!!).

The view from one of the farm stands where we stopped today is definitely more beautiful than the view inside our local grocery store.

And the hay fields we passed by on the way home seemed to be asking to have their photo taken.

Mo-pug is very curious, and loves checking out everything we bring home JUST in case there might be something for a little pug in the pile...

4 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Your pug is so cute!!!

All of the roadside bounty is great right now!!! Did you ever used to buy wood from that farm on 33 in Greenland (or possibly Stratham) where geese were guarding the money box? They'd come after you if you spent too long near the jar. I wonder how they trained them!

Thanks for the tip on the mushrooms at the Newmarket Farmer's Market!! One of these weekends I'll get there! (Or maybe the mushrooms will appear at Exeter too!)

Enjoy this fantastic stretch of weather!!

Sue

Life Looms Large said...

Your pug is so cute!!!

All of the roadside bounty is great right now!!! Did you ever used to buy wood from that farm on 33 in Greenland (or possibly Stratham) where geese were guarding the money box? They'd come after you if you spent too long near the jar. I wonder how they trained them!

Thanks for the tip on the mushrooms at the Newmarket Farmer's Market!! One of these weekends I'll get there! (Or maybe the mushrooms will appear at Exeter too!)

Enjoy this fantastic stretch of weather!!

Sue

livinginalocalzone said...

Such a sweetie that pug! I agree, roadside stands are a completely different experience than farmers markets. I pass by 3 or 4 most times on my way to get my CSA share, and I have to force myself not to stop at each one! Sometimes there are "occasional" or "informal" stands from farms that happen to have excess veg that week, or larger family gardens that likewise want to either give away or sell at nominal price their extra produce.

Colleen said...

Geese guarding the money box - I've never been to that farm, but what a riot they must have been to watch!!

I think the Newmarket market runs through Oct. 10 - hard to believe the end of market season is in sight! It's a really cute market - and someone was saying they might try to run a winter market in the same location, which would be awesome!

We picked up more delicata squash at another roadside stand this week - such a happy thing to stop and see what everyone has from their gardens and farms!!