The local papers are reporting that this could be one of the best seasons ever for apples in NH. Apparently the rain and cooler than normal temperatures haven't had the same effect on the apples as they have on the tomatoes, potatoes, squash, melons, etc. in our area - which is awesome for both apple growers and apple lovers!
This weekend marks "opening day" for many area orchards. For a list of apple orchards in New Hampshire that offer pick-your-own, click here!
We recently used some apples that we bought from Tecce Farm in Durham to make a tasty apple crisp - thought I'd share the recipe.
4 ½ cups peeled, cored, sliced apples
2 tsp lemon juice
2 tbsp water
½ cup honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup rolled oats
4 tbsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Lightly grease 9” square casserole dish.
3. Evenly spread the apple slices in the prepared dish.
4. In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice and water, and pour over the apples.
5. Drizzle apples with honey, and sprinkle with cinnamon.
6. In a bowl, mix the brown sugar, oats, flour, and butter until the mixture re8/sembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the apples.
7. Bake 25 minutes, until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.