Saturday, October 10, 2009

farmers' market trip - newmarket and portsmouth

This morning the sun was shining and the wind was blowing, and it was a great day to head to the farmers' markets!

This is the last week until November for the Newmarket market. In Newmarket, we picked up some Brussels sprouts, and broccoli. I love Brussels sprouts! When we were bagging them up, a couple walked by us - the woman gasped and said, "look at those people - they're buying BRUSSELS SPROUTS" - and the man replied, "well dear, some people do actually like them..." It made me laugh - she doesn't know what she's missing. Fresh-picked Brussels sprouts, steamed and served with a tiny bit of butter, are nothing but yummy!!

From Newmarket, we headed to Barker's farm stand - where we picked up a pie pumpkin, storage onions, and some corn. It is a tradition in our family that every year for Thanksgiving, I make a slightly overcooked pumpkin pie (my stepfather would say "burned" - but I prefer "slightly overcooked" (grin)) . As I've mentioned before, my husband does most of the cooking in our house (for which I am eternally grateful). But pie is something that I make every year. And for some reason, no matter how closely I watch the oven, and how much I try to avoid it happening, my pie is always a little on the well-done side of the spectrum. But it tastes good despite its appearance, and that's what counts, right? :-)

After Barker's we headed to Portsmouth. We hadn't been to the Portsmouth market for a couple months, and we were curious to see what treasures we would find. We brought home more broccoli, some baby bok choy, and a big bag of green beans. Looking forward to a stir fry for dinner tonight!

3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

You definitely found some good food this morning! I must be veggie-deficient right now....everything looks extremely good to me!

Sue

MangoChild said...

Brussels sprouts! I haven't seen them yet in our farmers' markets or in my CSA share, but I can't wait. One of my fav veg, especially just simply roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil and black pepper. Silly people who can't imagine eating them!

Colleen said...

Hi Sue - we definitely lucked out with our trip - next week I'm hoping to find cauliflower at the Portsmouth market - I didn't think to get any this week!

Hi MangoChild - Roasted Brussels sprouts... I'm definitely going to have to try that!!

:)Colleen