Monday, October 26, 2009

a garden surprise

We spent lots of time outside yesterday in the beautiful sunshine, raking leaves in the yard, sweeping leaves off the deck (lots of leaves all over the place!!), and getting two of the garden beds ready for winter and one ready for garlic (more about that when we plant toward the end of this week!). As we were pulling old squash plants up and moving leaves off of one of the beds, we came across this fine looking baby Swiss chard - an awesome little garden surprise, some of which will definitely be finding its way into the kitchen today!

Speaking of gardening, I've decided to use leftover seeds from this summer to try growing some lettuce indoors this Fall - I'll be planting it this week, and we'll see what happens. I'm hoping I can grow at least some baby lettuce - and I think I'm going to try chard too - as well as basil, chives, and parsley while I'm at it. I'm not sure what will grow well inside and what won't - though from what I've seen online, folks manage to grow all sorts of things indoors without benefit of a greenhouse (now a greenhouse would be LOTS of fun!!) - can't wait to see what kind of luck I have and will keep you posted!

1 comment:

Life Looms Large said...

Great that you got a yummy garden surprise!!

I'll be interested to see what you can grow indoors. I tried herbs one winter and had really bad luck, even in our sunniest room. I feel like there just isn't enough sun here in December...but hopefully you'll prove me wrong then share your secrets!

Sue