Monday, October 5, 2009

growing wheat in new england

I was at the library today, and saw that Yankee magazine has an article about "Growing Wheat in New England" (click here to read it on Yankee's website). It has interesting info about how wheat used to be grown here, and how local wheat is starting to make a comeback. The article includes a list of "a sampling of producers around the region that are growing, distributing, or baking with New England wheat" - including a place called Hungry Ghost Bread in Northampton, MA. The Hungry Ghost is supporting wheat growing efforts in New England by offering wheatberries to their customers, to plant at home. Reading all about this, I'm inspired again to look for flour that's more local than what I'm using right now for baking!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Littleton Grist Mill uses grains from Vermont and Maine, along with some from further away. They are in NH and use an old fashioned method of grinding wheat. I'm going to read that link. Thank you!

livinginalocalzone said...

Thanks for sharing that link. I do wish that it was easier to grow grains in New England. Wild Hive Farm (upstate-ish New York) does a great job, and I think they would be pretty close to you. I used to use them before finding out I need to be gluten free, and they have a lot of variety (whole wheat, rye, triticale, oats, cereals) that are all grown on site.
Now, I use Grays Grist Mill, which is in Rhode Island. They have a grist mill corn system, and the corn is grown right near the mill.

Life Looms Large said...

Interesting that hills and rocky soil, plus humidity are part of what make New England not ideal for growing wheat.

I'll have to try to get some local bread or local flour. Thanks for posting about the article!

Sue