Wednesday, November 11, 2009

homemade hot chocolate mix

Since I can't drink coffee at night without risking being up til the morning (I don't drink decaf), I sometimes like hot chocolate after dinner on a cold evening (and despite some nice warm days, the evenings here in New Hampshire are definitely getting chilly!!).

Thought I'd share the recipe we used to make our own hot chocolate mix this week. After making our own, I can see now why so many people give pretty jars of homemade mix for Christmas presents - it's quick and simple to make, and (my opinion) it tastes much better than store-bought!

We found the basic recipe on foodnetwork.com, and modified a little (we omitted the cayenne pepper and the corn starch). It makes 5 1/2 cups dry hot chocolate mix -

Ingredients
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
Hot water (or warm milk)

1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly.
2. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.
3. Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water (or warm milk).
4. Stir to combine.
5. Seal the rest of the mix in an airtight container - keeps indefinitely in the pantry.

5 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Yum!! Is it weird that I never really thought about what is in powdered hot chocolate?

Sue

Colleen said...

Hi Sue - I hadn't thought about it either - so when I looked it up and found out how simple it was to make, I was laughing to myself thinking "that's it?!?" LOL :) Colleen

Sara said...

That will be made in this household, as soon as I finish the store bought stuff I have...

Benita said...

Now I can't wait for that first snow storm. I'll be buying the ingredients this weekend.

Colleen said...

Hi Sara and Benita -
Hope you enjoy the hot chocolate - I'm sure the recipe can be "tweaked" to suit individual taste! I wonder what it would be like with the cayenne pepper the original recipe called for... I might have to try that one day :) Colleen