Monday, November 23, 2009

making pumpkin puree

Our kitchen is going to be busy this week, as we start getting ready for Thanksgiving. On the "to make" list for the next couple days are cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. Today we're making pumpkin puree for the pie.

To make your own pumpkin puree (instead of using store-bought canned pumpkin), first wash the outside of the pumpkin, and remove the stem.

Carefully cut the pumpkin in half, and scoop out the strings and seeds (save the seeds for roasting!).


Place the 2 halves cut side down on a oiled pan that has a rim. Add 1/2 inch of water to the pan, and bake for about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and pour off the water. Turn the pumpkin halves cut side up, and place back in the oven until the pumpkin is very soft and can be pierced easily with a fork.

Let the pumpkin cool until you can handle it easily. Scoop out the flesh, and puree in a blender or food processor until the pumpkin is very smooth.

If you'd like the puree to be thicker, you can strain it using a cheesecloth (or similar), or you can spread the puree on a cookie sheet and bake until it thickens (be careful not to overcook if you use this method).

From what I've read, you can store the puree for about a week in the refrigerator, or freeze for up to a year. In our house, it doesn't last that long (grin)!!

6 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

That is so much easier than the way I've done that in the past.

(My method involved peeling the raw pumpkin and then boiling. It is not easy or fun, or maybe even safe, to peel a raw pumpkin!!) The pie was fantastic though!

This year I'm only on the hook for a pear tart for our Thanksgiving feast. No pumpkin cooking for me.....although yours looks so good I might change my mind!

Sue

Colleen said...

Pear tart - sounds delicious!!
:)Colleen

Sara said...

Colleen,

Finally, I was able to add you to my bloglines - I have been trying for weeks!

Have to ask - can you use that puree to make pumpkin pie???

I have a pumpkin here and I don't know how to fix it to make a pumpkin pie...

Colleen said...

Hi Sara -
Thanks for adding me to your bloglines :)

You can definitely use the puree for pie - I just made our pie this evening. My husband wants to know if he can eat it tonight but he has to wait til tomorrow :)

To make ours, I took 2 cups of the puree (the pumpkin I baked made 4 cups total so I have 2 cups waiting for the next pie...), a can of sweetened condensed milk, 2 eggs (slightly beaten), 1/2 tsp of salt and of nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp of ginger and of cinnamon - and combined it all together, and that was my pie filling. Baked for 15 minutes at 425 and another 35 minutes at 350, and all was good!

If you decide to turn your pumpkin into puree (and pie), happy baking!!!

:)Colleen

livinginalocalzone said...

I made my first pumpkin puree a couple of years ago (wasn't *that* into pumpkin before) and there is a world of difference! Yes, it takes a bit of time, but the flavor of the sweet pumpkin can't be beat. What do you like best to use it with?

Colleen said...

Hi Mangochild -
We use the puree to make pumpkin pie, bread, and muffins - I have a recipe for a pasta dish that calls for pumpkin puree and spices instead of tomato sauce - haven't tried it yet, but it's on the list to make, and I'll definitely share the recipe if it comes out well!
:)Colleen