Saturday, November 21, 2009

wonderful winter market day!

What a beautiful November day in New Hampshire - it's sunny - there's blue sky - just perfect for being out-and-about at the winter farmers' markets!

We started our day at the Newmarket market at the Stone Church, as it's closer to our house than Rollinsford, and we knew Tuckaway Farm would be there (I love their veggies!). In Newmarket, we bought potatoes, Brussels sprouts, turnips, onions, and bok choy.

Then we headed up to Rollinsford. The Wentworth greenhouse is an awesome place for the market - there were tons of people shopping, but it didn't feel overcrowded or loud - it was just a "happy, bustling busy little place," as we heard one person say. In Rollinsford, we picked up ground pork, broccoli, rutabaga, and more potatoes and onions.

Not only are we set for Thanksgiving now, but we should have plenty of local food to last til the next market (in Rollinsford, December 5th)!

Speaking of the farmers' markets, I realized last night as I was making my shopping list for today that I think our Thanksgiving is just about all locally-sourced this year. Our turkey, squash, turnips, potatoes, onions, and garlic are all from local New Hampshire farms. The pumpkin and eggs for the pumpkin pie are from local farms too. The cranberries for the cranberry sauce are from Massachusetts. And our butter is from Cabot (a cooperative that includes farms from New England and upstate New York). I think the only non-local items we'll be using are the condensed milk for the pie, flour, salt/pepper/spices, and oil. Pretty nifty - the opportunity to access local foods even in the "dark" months is definitely something I'm thankful for this year!!

6 comments:

Amanda said...

Just curious - how are you going to prepare the turnips?

Life Looms Large said...

That broccoli looks especially yummy! And your Thanksgiving feast sounds great!

I didn't make it to the market in Rollinsford today, but thanks for the reminder that it's there again on the 5th. I heard lots of people at the open studios saying how great the market was....so I hope to visit in December!

Sue

livinginalocalzone said...

Your Thanksgiving meal... yum! I too am grateful for the winter markets/CSAs - it feels good to taste and support our local farmers all year around. And what good food :-) I just found a way to prepare turnips that I like given my current overflow - looks like turnips are bountiful there too. I'll echo Amanda's question: What are the plans for preparing them?

Colleen said...

Hi all -
I love turnips just cut into chunks, boiled, and then mashed with a tiny bit of butter, salt, and pepper - so that's how most of the white turnips will be made.

But for Thanksgiving, we'll take the rutabaga (since it's yellow) and mash that together with butternut squash. That trick I learned from my mother - she always served the "combination" when she used to host the holiday, since most of my family doesn't like the bitter taste of turnips/rutabaga, and adding the butternut sweetens them up just a little.

Sue, the market is definitely worth the trip - someone said it was more like a festival than a market - it really was a great time!!

:)Colleen

Debra said...

At the next winter farmers' market, drop by Seacoast Eat Local's Locavore Pantry table — we are featuring harder-to-find items such as sunflower & canola oil, and Maine sea salt — all locally-grown and produced in New England!

Colleen said...

Hi Debra - I definitely will - sounds awesome!! :)Colleen