Wednesday, December 2, 2009

the best mac and cheese I've ever made

Although I couldn't get a picture that was very pretty, this was by far the best tasting homemade mac and cheese casserole I've ever made. The roasted butternut combined with the cheddar sauce is just fabulous!!

I saw the recipe in Parents magazine, but modified it to use whole (not reduced fat) milk and regular (not low-fat) cheddar. And we thought the butternut needed a little more time than they said, so we added 5 minutes to their recommended 20... other than that, here's the recipe - (mostly) "as was."

Butternut Squash Casserole

1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 cups)
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 lb whole wheat elbows
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 3/4 cups white cheddar cheese, shredded and divided

1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Toss squash with oil and salt on a foil-lined tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until tender; set aside.
2. Cook pasta for 2 minutes less than package directions call for; drain and place in bowl with squash. Meanwhile, melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour; cook for 2 minutes.
3. Slowly whisk in milk. Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Stir cheese sauce into pasta and squash.
4. Spoon into 6 greased individual ramekins. Sprinkle on remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes. Serves 6.

The individual portions in the little ramekins were adorable - and my son was all excited to have his very own little white dish! We served the remaining Brussels sprouts from our garden that we harvested today, steamed, on the side - and it was a great meal. If you try the recipe, let me know what you think!

5 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

That looks really good!! (I know it's hard to take food pictures. I understand why there are food stylists after trying a few shots of my own!)

Sue

Sara said...

It looks good - and I might have to try it...especially since I have two butternut squash sitting here.

Lisa said...

Yum! It has to be the number 1 comfort food of all time. Thanks for posting this recipe-great way to add in some nutrition!

Lisa @
All That and a Box of Rocks

Colleen said...

Hi all - the butternut really made for a different sort of taste than "plain" mac and cheese - not too sweet, but just right! Hope you enjoy it if you try it!

Sue, I was definitely wishing for a food stylist at my house, as I was taking picture after picture and nothing was working like I wanted!! LOL

:)Colleen

Quasi Serendipita said...

Sounds delicious!