Monday, December 21, 2009

dark days challenge - week 5


I missed posting my Week 4 Dark Days meal - oops!! Something about December - it flies right by sometimes!

For Week 5's Dark Days meal, we decided last night (once we were done shoveling snow!) to "think warm" and barbecue! We pulled some chicken legs (Hayward Farm) out of the freezer and put them on the grill. Then we quartered some Meadow's Mirth white onions, put them on skewers, and out onto the grill they went as well. I love grilled onions. Of course I love onions just about any way they can be cooked - so I'm easy on that count (grin). We had the oven on for a banana bread anyway (just about nothing local in that baking project!!) - so we threw in a couple of the sweet potatoes we got from Ramsbotham's Farm.

It was a simple meal - chicken, onions, and baked sweet potatoes - but a super tasty one!

5 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Awesome that you grill in winter! We're fair weather grillers....much to my dismay. (Can you tell I'm not the one out there playing with fire?)

Sue

Sara said...

Colleen,

Your dinner last night sounded wonderful...I love grilled onions!

livinginalocalzone said...

Onions and sweet potatoes - what a great idea! I eat so many sweet potatoes, new combos are welcomed. I will try this pairing this week....

Colleen said...

Hi Mangochild! I tried the sweet potatoes with black beans after reading about the combination on your blog. Was definitely a tasty pairing! I didn't have any salsa to add though - next summer I'm going to need to remember to make enough salsa to freeze for meals like this in winter-time!!
:)Colleen

Colleen said...

Hi Sue and Sara!
We used to grill only in the nice weather - but we added some better lighting to the back deck, and now it's pretty fun (though I too am usually the one inside where it's nice and warm, not the one outside in the snow tending the grill!!). Tonight I think we're going to grill up some of the kielbasa we bought at the winter market on Saturday - yum!! Might have to throw on some more onion skewers while the grill is hot...
:)Colleen