Wednesday, December 30, 2009

ewe plant

2010 is right around the corner, and though I'm not really one to make a bunch of Resolutions, I do try each year to come up with a few goals for the New Year that help keep me focused on where I want to be heading.

Along these lines, in the coming year I hope to greatly expand our backyard vegetable gardens. I'll be trying to grow some things I haven't planted before (such as Delicata squash, melons, and curly kale) - and I'll also be planting greater quantities of tomatoes, cucumbers, snap peas, Brussels sprouts, and other favorites. This means more raised beds will need to be built - lots of work to be done outside!

I also hope to finally pull everything together such that I can add chickens to our little world in 2010 - again, lots of work to be done first, building them a coop and a run so we can keep them safely in our yard and out of the neighbors' yards! I love reading about other local folks' chicken adventures - helps me remember that this is definitely "doable" in my neck of the woods!!

Anyway, so given my 2010 plans, my gardening obsession, and my love of sheep (I don't have real sheep of my own (yet!!) but I do have a collection of sheep decorating my fireplace mantel...) I thought one of my Christmas gifts from my husband was just perfect. He took a "found" planter, cleaned it up and patched a hole in the bottom, and then painted it for me.

"Ewe plant" - makes me smile every time I look at it. And it really does just say it all - doesn't it?

Happy New Year, all!!

3 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Sounds like you have resolutions for a very green new year!

I'm a recent convert to the cult of kale. I had a great kale salad at a Christmas party. So yummy!

What a nice gift from DH!! I'm so impressed that he painted it himself. Very thoughtful.

Happy New Year!!

Sue

Sara said...

Colleen,

I certainly hope you have a wonderful new year!

Another recent convert to kale - I had some at a retreat I was attending. It was sauteed (I spell that right?) with lots of garlic. And, there was some pasta and pesto - and when I mixed them together with the kale - it was awesome!!!

My love for sheep and alpaca is well known - but my apartment would never hold them!

Colleen said...

I only discovered a taste for kale recently too - when I'd had it before, I just didn't love it. But then one day this summer we threw it into a stirfry, and that was it - I realized it was great (though I admit, that's still the only way I seem to enjoy it...). We stirfry it with leeks (or onions if we're out of leeks), garlic, and dark soy sauce - makes for an awesome dish!

:)Colleen