Saturday, December 19, 2009

one day - two wonderful winter markets

Today there were two winter farmers' markets in our area - one in Newmarket, and one in Rollinsford. We went to both - and they were wonderful (and very busy) once again!

In Newmarket, we bought garlic, eggs, and a handful of packets of High Mowing Organic Seeds (delicata squash, cucumbers, melons, snap peas, and pattypan squash). It's great fun to be thinking about next year's garden as more snow heads our way this weekend!!

Then in Rollinsford, we stocked up on storage onions, potatoes, broccoli, and more garlic- and we also got some kielbasa. I was hoping to find cauliflower and Brussels sprouts too - but they were sold out by the time we arrived. Next time!

The next markets in this area aren't until January 9 in Exeter, and January 16 in Rye and Newmarket - and I'm looking forward to them already!

3 comments:

Sara said...

I think we are going to have a winter market in Cornish or Lebanon. I sure hope so!

Just got some fresh beets!

Life Looms Large said...

It's so cool that so many winter markets are popping up. Now that you're stocked up, I guess you're ready for snow! (I really can't tell whether this storm will amount to anything here, or if we'll be too far north of it.)

Sue

Colleen said...

The markets are definitely a great thing - fresh produce in the winter is all good!!

I want to try roasted beets - so far I've only had them boiled. But I've read that folks roast them, and that sounds like it could be yummy! Sara, how do you cook yours?

:) Colleen