Wednesday, December 23, 2009

quick and easy butter cookies


I like cookie recipes that don't make TOO many cookies, as I for one can leave no cookie uneaten. If it's here in the house, it's gone before I know it!! So a recipe that makes just about 2 dozen cookies works for me - plenty for everyone in the family to enjoy, but not so many that we enjoy them to excess.

This butter cookie recipe makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen happy little cookies - and it's nice and simple. Not too many ingredients - and all things I usually have on hand.

Oh - before I share the recipe, I'll share a picture of Mo-pug, who was happy this morning to discover that I am a messy baker. She stood in the kitchen trying to catch flour as it floated to the floor. Note the white sprinkles on the normally all-black puggy chin. She cracks me up!!

On to the recipe (courtesy of The New York Times Cookbook)!

Butter Cookies

1/4 pound butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
Pinch of salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon grated orange rind, or 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 cup flour
Nuts (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together thoroughly. Add the egg, salt, vanilla and fruit rind, and mix. Add the flour and mix well.
3. Shape the dough into small balls and flatten with the hand, or chill the dough and put through a cookie press. Garnish with nuts if desired.
4. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake until the edges are light brown, or about 12 minutes.
5. ENJOY!!

5 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Yum!! I think I'm done baking, but then again, maybe not!! The nut/orange rind combo sounds especially yummy!

Enjoy!

Sue

Sara said...

Hmmm...those look really good. I'm thinking that instead of vanilla maybe I'll use lemon extract - and lemon rind...and then they would be lemon cookies!!!

Colleen said...

Orange - nuts - lemon - yum!! Just thinking about it makes me want to bake some more cookies in all sorts of combinations!!

:)Colleen

livinginalocalzone said...

Great flavor combos! I feel the same way about the huge output of many cookie recipes - and its often hard to scale them down properly.

Colleen said...

Hi Mangochild - Thank you for including my cookie recipe in the Dark Days summary! With the holidays, I didn't remember to post my Week 6 meal until I was writing up Week 7 this evening - oops!! :)