Saturday, January 23, 2010

another wonderful winter market!

We went to the Seacoast Eat Local market in Rollinsford today - we arrived just before it opened, and there was already a crowd of folks in the greenhouse, eager to get inside and start shopping!

We brought home rutabagas, kale, carrots, potatoes, onions, bok choy, ground pork, and a small roasting chicken. I haven't had chicken for weeks - so I'm definitely looking forward to this one! But since I picked up some organic mushrooms yesterday, the chicken will wait and tonight's mostly-local dinner will be a stir fry of kale, mushrooms, and bok choy. Yum!

If you live locally and haven't checked out one of the markets yet this winter, the next one is February 13, in Exeter. Check out Seacoast Eat Local for more info, directions to the market locations, etc.!

5 comments:

Sara said...

Colleen,

I need help - I got some kale and I want to saute it with some garlic as a side to eat with some spagetti with pesto sauce.

My question is - do I need to blanch the kale first??

Life Looms Large said...

Good to know that you can get fresh kale at the markets this winter! I had the best Caesar salad made from kale at Christmas. I'll have to try to duplicate that!!

Love your warm, sunny header pics!!

Sue

Colleen said...

Hi Sara - We don't blanch ours - we just cut it up, and right into the stirfry it goes!! Hope yours came out wonderfully! And spaghetti with pesto... yum!

Hi Sue - I never thought I'd see the day when getting a bag of kale at the market would make me so happy, but it really does!! Thanks re the header pictures - I decided to go back to nice-weather photos, on account of my counting down to Spring already!

:)Colleen

Ecocheapo said...

You really made out! I'm jealous, I was away and will just have to wait for produce. However, your new header shot is definitely a candidate for a calender I want to put together called "Pugs For The Planet" :)

Colleen said...

Hi Ecocheapo! The market was definitely wonderful this week - so much great food!! Pugs For The Planet - sounds like fun! Mo-Pug's breeder loved this picture when I emailed it to her - she said "she always was a little chow-hound" - and indeed, she still is!!
:)Colleen