Wednesday, January 27, 2010

can swans read?

We went out to Sanders Lobster today to pick up 5 lbs of the local shrimp I keep hearing such wonderful things about (more about the shrimp will be coming in my next post!).

When we were walking back to the car, I noticed a couple of ducks floating in the water next to the parking lot. I can't resist ducks, and it was a beautiful day, so we stopped to watch them for a while.

The longer we stood there, the more ducks kept coming by and joining the others. Maybe they thought we were going to feed them - but we had nothing to offer. So they watched us, and we watched them.

Just as we were about to say good-bye and head to the car, this pretty guy (girl?) appeared out of nowhere - of course we had to stay longer to see what he would do.

It appeared that he was looking for a comfy place to sit in the sun - only, what's this? Private parking? Does that include swans?? Can swans read "no parking" signs??

Perhaps they can, because he moved to a spot that wasn't marked "private" - just to be safe, I'm sure :)

4 comments:

Tameson said...

cute

Ecocheapo said...

I love bird picture stories! This is great!

Life Looms Large said...

How cool that you got to be so close to a swan!!! (I do wonder what it was doing with that sign....maybe they really can read!)

I'd say they definitely can enjoy the sun when it's here!

Sue

Colleen said...

Hi all -
Thanks for your comments! Watching the birds was a lot of fun - I think I could have stayed there for hours!
:)Colleen