Sunday, January 3, 2010

dark days challenge - week 7

With the busy-ness of the holidays, I never did get to post my Week 6 Dark Days Challenge meal! But had I remembered to post (grin), you'd have read about how we enjoyed many local foods as part of our Christmas Eve dinner - we had roasted pork tenderloins (New Roots), black beans (Meadow's Mirth), and, for dessert, pumpkin pie (pumpkin from Barker's Farm). There were non-local foods as part of the meal too (plantains, for one - those aren't even slightly local to New Hampshire!!) - but it was nice looking around the table and knowing that the dinner's "main features" were all locally sourced!

As to this week's spotlight meal (Week 7), we were mostly snowed in the second half of Friday, and all of yesterday. So we dug the grill out of the snow (again!) and grilled up some local kielbasa (super yum!!). We also made mashed potatoes, and steamed some broccoli. The kielbasa was from New Roots, potatoes from Meadow's Mirth, and broccoli from Heron Pond. The horseradish that went with the kielbasa wasn't local - and the butter and milk in the potatoes were from Cabot, so though still from New England, they're certainly not as local as the items we got "straight from the farm" (or farmers' market, as the case may be...).

Speaking of the farmers' markets, the winter markets start up again next Saturday - hooray! Check out Seacoast Eat Local's website for a list of dates that includes the Seacoast Eat Local markets in Exeter and Rollinsford, as well as other great markets in Newmarket, Rye, and other towns too!

4 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

I'm still jealous of your snow grilling!! The closest I come to cooking in the snow is putting a pot of soup outside in the snow to cool it down. That's doesn't really count!

Sue

livinginalocalzone said...

I too envy the snow grilling. Yes, I have a grill pan and can use it inside on the stove, but *its not the same!*
Hooray for the farmers' markets starting up. I think ours start this weekend too, but I'd have to check.... How long do yours usually last through the winter?

livinginalocalzone said...

I too envy the snow grilling. Yes, I have a grill pan and can use it inside on the stove, but *its not the same!*
Hooray for the farmers' markets starting up. I think ours start this weekend too, but I'd have to check.... How long do yours usually last through the winter?

Colleen said...

Snow grilling is pretty fun - though my husband would also say that he's looking forward to warm-weather grilling, with no shoveling involved :)

We have several winter markets each month in our area through April 10 - and then our outdoor markets resume May 1. We're super fortunate to have so many places to access local foods this winter - I'm loving it!!