Thursday, January 7, 2010

happy chickens

Stopped by a local farm to pick up some eggs this morning - when I came out of the garage where the farmer keeps a refrigerator with his eggs for sale, I noticed these two Plymouth Barred Rock chickens watching me head back to my car. I'm in the middle of reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (the book was a Christmas gift, and it sure offers lots of "food for thought" - many things to think about!!). After reading yet again about the sad lives of factory-farm chickens, it was a happy, happy thing to see these chickens walking around outside in the sunshine!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out this informative and inspiring video on why people choose vegan: http://veganvideo.org/

Also see Gary Yourofsky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bagt5L9wXGo

Life Looms Large said...

Those are beautiful chickens for sure!!

Sue

Ecocheapo said...

I'm glad to see them out and about! I am torn about letting ours free range in winter. We have a hawk hanging around from time to time and lots of mysterious footprints in the snow behind the coop. I wonder if the benefits are worth the risk?