Thursday, January 14, 2010

local eating, catching up, and blue ballet squash

I haven't been too good about keeping up with my blogging lately - but I hope you're all enjoying January, are keeping warm, and (if you're local to NH) have been enjoying the winter markets that are starting back up this month. We went to the Exeter market last weekend, and came home with ground pork, potatoes, carrots, and one of the most fabulous turkeys (thank you, Yellow House Farm!) I've ever eaten. The Newmarket and Rye markets are coming up this weekend, and I'm hoping to get to Newmarket early enough to get some of the fabulous local shrimp I keep hearing about - I haven't tried them yet, and it seems the time has come!

While I haven't been writing much lately, I have been reading. I finished Eating Animals just today, and I have to say that I am even more grateful than I was prior to reading through this book that we have folks in New Hampshire who are raising heritage breeds of animals, farming humanely and with the welfare of their animals at the forefront of their minds, and making humane-raised meat, eggs, dairy, and other animal-based foods available locally. Factory farming is scary stuff - and I am happy that our family's food dollars no longer support the industry.

In other local-eating news, after hearing from Amy over at What Did She Do Today? that the farm store at Mack's Apples out in Londonderry is still open over the winter, we decided to take a drive out there and see if we could get some apples (my son eats one every day, and we're almost out of the ones we bought at the farmers' markets and orchards this Fall - guess we need to store more next year!!). We came home with a peck of Cortland apples - and I was excited to see that they also had lots of delicata squash. Since my squash bin was starting to look empty, I grabbed a bunch of delicata, and I'm looking forward to roasting them with some garlic and olive oil... yum! To make the day even better, when we were on the way out to the car one of the women from Mack's stopped us and told us to take a blue ballet squash free since we had bought a peck of apples. I hadn't heard of blue ballet, but looked it up when I got home, and it seems it's a smaller cousin of blue hubbard. From what I've read, like most winter squash, it's great roasted and then served with a little butter and/or salt and pepper - or pureed and baked into pies. Sounds awesome - can't wait to try it!

5 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

The squash looks really good, even to my non-squash-loving eyes.

Stay warm!
Sue

livinginalocalzone said...

Look at that squash! I'm a lover of almost all kinds of squash, and want to dive in. How are you planning to prepare them?
We have a new winter market here that's much closer to me than the pre-existing one, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they have. What are you finding at your markets?

Life Looms Large said...

Totally unrelated to your squash post....I just stopped in to say that I'm pretty sure the spinning at the Fuzz Fest in Exeter will be with angora rabbits. I don't think you could spin the fur of your rabbits. (But I'm by no means an expert....so don't take my word for it!!)

It would be fun if you can make it to the Fuzz Fest!! I practically want one of those angora rabbits already....so beware....you might need one after that day!

Sue

Elizabeth said...

I've never heard or seen of blue squash, either!
Happy New Year, New England Bloggers!

Our 1-year anniversary is coming up Jan 27. To mark the occasion I am going to put up a Mr. Linky on the evening of Mon, Jan 25. If you'd like to write a post about living in NE, your favorite places to visit, recipes, folktales, music, famous people, NE authors or books, whatever interests you. I'd also like a little idea of # of participants, if you could just send me a reply.
I apologize if you are getting this twice. Many people haven't given me emails so I have to leave it in the comments.

Colleen said...

Hi all -
Still haven't cooked the blue ballet squash, but we're planning on cutting it up and peeling it, and then roasting it in "chunks" with a little olive oil. Some may end up pureed for pie - and some will become a side dish, I'm sure!

Mangochild, the winter markets here have been amazing - from meat to green to storage veggies to baked goods and even locally roasted coffees and locally made soups - we've got quite a variety of local foods available this winter! It's really wonderful and makes me smile every time I go to another market and see the abundance of great foods!

:)Colleen