Monday, January 18, 2010

my day with crochet

Since Sewing Step-by-Step is in my "to read" pile, I of course today jumped right into 200 Crochet Blocks. That's just about the way it works around here, sometimes!!

My mother knits almost constantly, and has been known to whip up a hat or two for my son on the way up here from Connecticut with my stepfather. And my grandmother was the same way - she was forever making us mittens, socks, scarves, and sweaters, and we still have afghans that she made in each bedroom in our house. One year when I was little, she became so frustrated with my lack of interest in baby dolls (she really wanted to knit doll clothes!) that she knit individually fitted outfits for each and every one of my stuffed animals for a Christmas surprise (and I had a LOT of stuffed animals!!).

This is one of my sheep, with Grandma-made bonnet and sweater. Yes, I come from a line of serious knitters.

But somehow, the "knitting gene" seems to have skipped me. I've tried to knit, but I just don't have the skill or the patience. So a couple years ago, my mother taught me to crochet. I crocheted exactly long enough to make one simple blue scarf and then I put down the crochet hook and didn't return. This bear is wearing the scarf I made (apparently my tendency to dress my stuffed animals in knitwear was hereditary, as my son does the same thing... (grin)).

So, today we were quite snowed in again, and as I thought about all the great handcrafted projects I've seen on other blogs lately (here, here, and here for example), I decided to get out my crochet basket and try again.

Of course it would have been nice to have my mother here for a refresher course and some direction as I attempted to crochet something rectangular instead of triangular (that "turn" stitching gets me every time!!). But I had my book, and I had a fair amount of determination. So though my little blue-and-purple creation might not be much, and it might not be perfect, I'm happy that I did it myself, and I'm looking forward to trying again and to eventually perfecting my technique. And my son's little lion of course appreciates the mini-blanket...

5 comments:

John at Cell Phone Recycling said...

I wish I know how to make one. I was planning to make something like this last christmas to give a a gift because it would be useful because winter is here, but since I really don't know how to make, I ended up buying. My point is, personal hand made gifts are better...

Life Looms Large said...

I'm insanely jealous of your ability to crochet!! I've tried to crochet an edge on a woven scarf...and I need much more practice!

I like your tendency to dress stuffed animals in handmade items!! They're so much smaller than people - making for easier knitting!

Sue

PS: Thanks for the shout out!!

I'm NOT a VOLCANO! said...

Cute cute cute!! Love the scarves! Following now from MBC. COme and see me sometime!!

Colleen said...

Thanks all! I'm still practicing the crocheting, and hoping my mother will be taking a trip to NH soon so I can get some pointers straight from an "expert"!!

:)Colleen

bettyl said...

I can crochet but can't knit. I think if I had learned knitting first it would have been different--I even tried to knit with crochet hooks, but that didn't work, either!

You have a great start, so keep going!