Saturday, March 13, 2010

farmers' market trip

We went to the Seacoast Eat Local farmers' market in Exeter today - for the first time, we decided to go toward the middle of the market (which runs from 10-2) instead of toward the beginning. Made for a nice, peaceful trip through the aisles, since the crowds had diminished - and indeed, as promised, there were still plenty of goodies left when we arrived!

We picked up Empire apples (I'm loving that the New Hampshire orchards have apples from their cold storage that they're bringing to the markets still now in March!), potatoes, onions, rutabaga, and carrots. We still have plenty of local chicken, pork, and beef in the freezer, so this was a meat-free shopping trip.

Next weekend (3/20), there are farmers' markets in Newmarket and Rye, and then the following weekend (3/27) is the next Seacoast Eat Local market in Rollinsford. I'm looking forward to seeing what will be available at the markets as we head toward Spring!

2 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Good to know that even if you're not there right at the start there are still great things to buy!

I'm really hungry right now, so your haul looks really good to me!

Hope your power stays on!!! Ours was out for a few hours this morning, but thankfully is back. Phew!!

Sue

Ecocheapo said...

I was there too! The first time I have gone to the Winter Market in Exeter even though I live right next door in Brentwood. I love the Newmarket Winter Market at the Stone Church, but the Seacoast Eat Local Market did have a very appealing selection. I too am loving the apples!