Tuesday, June 22, 2010

garlic scape pesto

I've been talking a lot about garlic scapes lately, and wanted to share the recipe (it's a simple one!) for one of my favorite Spring treats - garlic scape pesto. The pesto we made this week had scapes from our own garden, as well as from two local farms, and was made starting with the recipe below and then adjusted for taste (we used less oil and more garlic scapes than the recipe calls for). I enjoy the pesto on toasted homemade bread, crackers, and sometimes pasta. It freezes well, so don't worry about making too much - just throw it in the freezer and continue to enjoy even once garlic scape season has passed!

Garlic Scape Pesto

1/4 lb garlic scapes, cut into pieces
1 cup grated Parmesan
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
salt

Place garlic scapes and olive oil in food processor, and puree until smooth. Stir in Parmesan and lemon juice, and season to taste.

That's all there is to it! Some people add pine nuts, walnuts, etc. just like with basil pesto - but I like it with just the Parmesan and lemon juice. Whatever suits your taste, go for it and enjoy!!

5 comments:

Life Looms Large said...

Looks yummy...and I think I'd love it on pizza!

Thanks so much for the huge blog compliment passed along from your son! It's good to have fans of all ages!

Stay cool!
Sue

GarlicBOSS said...

Nice garlic scape pesto recipe without using nuts because so many people are allergic to nuts

livinginalocalzone said...

Yum. I love garlic scapes. I'm allergic to dairy though... a variation I like is to combine the garlic scapes with basil and oregano, a bit of lemon juice, and a bit of salt. It's a bit acidic, but very "bright". With so much mint, maybe I'll try subbing out the basil for that this weekend?

Elizabeth said...

Hi, Colleen!
Congrats on being featured by Sara at Fabric n Fiber Fanatic for the New England Bloggers carnival this week!

Sara said...

Oh, Colleen - I think I want to make some of that!!! Gonna check at my farmers market next week to see if he has any...